"... to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free... let me forget about today until tomorrow... "


Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Let's Fly!


 Right after I took these photos, something happened that I will remember for a long time to come.

I have the best little travelers on my hands.  Our flight was delayed, an unexpected and welcome surprise.  We needed coffee and a minute to stretch out and regroup before loading the plane.  It was December 23rd at LAX, you can imagine the crowds and the utter extremes of emotions that are circling the air - (Airports + Holidays = Chaos + Emotions).  I kind of revel in these situations honestly - it is kind of thrilling and magical and electrifying so long as you have a safe spot to watch it all go by.  So, Chris scouted out a good spot next to the charging station (how awesome are those things?!) to spread out and have a snack.

Once we were all set up, Chris went and got in line for Starbucks. The girls and I were sharing some crackers, when a good looking man with a back pack, a trimmed beard, a green flannel shirt (basically a Christmas Card model for the airline) came over, hunched right down to our level and said, "Excuse me Miss, can I buy you a coffee?"  I think I was a little stunned because I wasn't quite sure if he was hitting on me and this was a pick up line, which would have been pretty odd considering the situation (wedding ring, kids, busy airport), or if I looked haggard and tired like I needed a coffee, which also would have been weird because I was smiling, taking pictures, and pretty in control of things.  Either way, I didn't say anything much and just smiled and replied "No thanks, but that is very sweet.  Merry Christmas." ... and he then he added, "No Problem.  I have three kids and my wife travels alone with them sometimes and I know how your hands get full and I thought you may need something for yourself while you wait.  Merry Christmas."

I love people.  Merry Christmas indeed.

I introduced Chris to him after my coffee arrived.  They shook hands and nodded in masculine acceptance and fatherly/husbandly solidarity.  It was a moment for the books.

In my previous post, I wrote about the connections that parents have at Christmas time, case in point.

No comments:

Post a Comment