"... to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free... let me forget about today until tomorrow... "


Friday, February 1, 2013

well, hello there Ernie...

There are days, that seem so busy that I hardly come up for air until I get home.  Even then, there are evenings that slip through my fingers so fast that I can't seem to get a grip and appreciate the day until it is at its close.  I love the tasks that make up my life - morning into night - there is really nothing that I can say I would like to let go of.  And yet, trying to hold all of the pieces at once is a balancing game to say the least.  I do my best to put one thing away before opening a new thing and I look my baby in the eye every time she tries to tell me something and I put a pause in my spinning thoughts every time I kiss my husband... but in doing this, and making my best attempt to be present in every moment - man, does it fly by.  Early morning coffee turns into bedtime so quickly.

So... on nights such as this one, when I am doing my best not to be sad that yet another day has flown in and flown out without even a moment to stop and reflect, I have a hard time falling asleep.  I think that my body and my mind are trying to tidy up the day's events and it keeps me awake.  So tonight my thoughts have been occupied with a melancholy.  I had a good day, filled to the brim, and now, finally, at the days end, I can reflect and feel peaceful... but... alas, my family is sleeping and it is too late to call anyone, and I feel a bit alone in this peace.  So I sit on my chair, cross my legs and I find on the ball of my tired foot - a little friend waving at me.  So I say "well, hello there Ernie..." and I feel that the day is now complete.  For here, is a perfect moment that encompasses so much of what I love about my life.

1 comment:

  1. I was so moved by this Megan.. It made me pause and think about some of the moments I may not have thought about otherwise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete