Not being a tradition seeker myself, gypsy blood and all, it is rare that besides general places themselves, details rarely stick around year to year. I am much more likely to sway my tribe to new things than rely on old comfort spots.
Chris is amazing. I mean, in so many ways, but the fact that he somehow encourages and embraces the change and risk in sailing out of the harbor (wind sailing so to speak:)) and yet still has anchored me enough so that I can enjoy the comfort... this is a balance that baffles me.
Balance seems to be his superpower these days.
So without specific intention, apple picking and all the farming feelings and folk of Oak Glen has become a tradition in the Fall for us. And, I kind of love it - both the place and the events, but also the fact that its tradition. I am warming up to this idea that same can be good, that there can be great contentment in comfort. The swallows adventure in far off places I'm sure, but they return to Capistrano still, don't they?

There are pictures from last year on this bench. We didn't know Avalon very well then, but she took up a lot of space in my tummy and made it so there was no coffee with my pie. Welcome to Oak Glen, sweet Avalon, and welcome back COFFEE with pie).
Their faces in this one are priceless.
Cheyenne's smile.... sigh....
How long do you have to do something to make it a tradition? With my limited experience, I would say if I do anything the same one year to the next, it counts... But what about you traditional friends? Is it 3 years? 5 years? How much of the experience has to repeat itself to claim the "Tradition" title? Can it just be the place, or does it have to follow a similar itinerary? And, is there a difference in saying "annual event" vs. saying it is a "family tradition?"
I'm new at this. I want to be good at it. Kids like tradition.
I think I got this one though - Three times, same place, same restaurant, same aggressive goats AND same time of year...
Perfecting the Flat-Hand Feeding Technique...
I lived on a ranch when I was about Cheyenne's age, and in adulthood refection, I think that experience had a more profound effect on my childhood than my whole elementary school experience. I mean, if nothing else, it has created a love in me for cows that runs deeper than any playground or kickball game.
Because babies cry...
Unless you are Cheyenne. Cheyenne never really cries. It is a mystery we don't ask about.











No comments:
Post a Comment