Bill Clinton spoke at our graduation last week. His nephew was a senior at our school and so the former president and the current secretary of state, along with the entourage of secret service and expected buzz, attended our big commencement event.
I hadn't expected to be star struck. Of course I thought it was awesome and knew it was pretty special for him to speak, but I thought it would be like going to a concert or a seeing a speaker from afar. Little did I know I would be so involved in his presence.
Teachers have to attend graduation as part of our contract and each year we get assigned a "job." This year I was assigned to the handicapped seating and crowd control on the visitor's side and unknowingly in charge of keeping the Clinton family's seats saved and comfortable! Then during the ceremony, I got to sit right in front of them.
So when Bill came up the stairs to take his seat, he came over and shook my hand and said Thank you!
It was pretty amazing.
His speech was inspiring and humble and focused on the kids.
It was definitely a memory that will linger and return often.
Perfect closure to a great school year.
Some proof below ;-)
![]() |
| The middle picture was taken from my seat. |
![]() |
| This photo was in the local paper! Ahh! |
![]() |
| Hillary all the way to the right and Bill & me (in the red and white striped skirt) all the way to the left. |
![]() |
| Again, me in the red and white striped skirt and Bill in the pink tie. Pic on the left we're chattin with Secret Service as the graduates celebrate. |




So cool!
ReplyDeleteYou're fancy now dawg!
ReplyDelete